More Chinese toys recalled


Summary

Mattel, the United States' largest toy-maker, has already asked people to return millions of toys, including Barbie, Polly Pocket, Batman and Fisher-Price items.

南宁桑拿

VIDEO: Dramatic impact

On Wednesday it included more Polly Pocket and Barbie items in the list of those to be pulled from shop shelves, and warned further recalls were possible.

At least one US child has died and some 19 others have been left needing surgery after swallowing magnets used in the toys, since 2003.

Safety checks

Parents have been urged to ensure their children are not playing with any of the potentially dangerous recalled products.

"There is no guarantee that we will not be here again and have more recalls," Mattel chief executive Bob Eckert said. "We are testing at a very high level here."

None of the reported injuries have involved the latest toys to be removed from sale, but the company said it was issuing a broad preventative recall.

About 80 per cent of toys sold in the United States are made in China, and US politicians have called for better safety checks as a result of the worldwide warning.

"Another week, another recall of Chinese-made toys," said Senator Dick Durbin, who wants to see all Chinese toy imports detained and tested for lead paint.

Lead paint

"We can't wait any longer for China to crack down on its lax safety standards. This needs to stop now before more children and more families are put at risk."

Mattel has recalled some three million painted toys in the past three months because high levels of lead were used in the paint – lead is toxic if ingested by young children.

The co-owner of one of the firms involved in the recall scandal, Cheung Shu-hung of Lee Der Industrial Co, committed suicide over the weekend.

Mr Cheung, whose firm had been temporarily barred from exporting its products, apparently hanged himself at one of his warehouses.


Mattel, the United States' largest toy-maker, has already asked people to return millions of toys, including Barbie, Polly Pocket, Batman and Fisher-Price items.

苏州皮肤管理中心

VIDEO: Dramatic impact

On Wednesday it included more Polly Pocket and Barbie items in the list of those to be pulled from shop shelves, and warned further recalls were possible.

At least one US child has died and some 19 others have been left needing surgery after swallowing magnets used in the toys, since 2003.

Safety checks

Parents have been urged to ensure their children are not playing with any of the potentially dangerous recalled products.

"There is no guarantee that we will not be here again and have more recalls," Mattel chief executive Bob Eckert said. "We are testing at a very high level here."

None of the reported injuries have involved the latest toys to be removed from sale, but the company said it was issuing a broad preventative recall.

About 80 per cent of toys sold in the United States are made in China, and US politicians have called for better safety checks as a result of the worldwide warning.

"Another week, another recall of Chinese-made toys," said Senator Dick Durbin, who wants to see all Chinese toy imports detained and tested for lead paint.

Lead paint

"We can't wait any longer for China to crack down on its lax safety standards. This needs to stop now before more children and more families are put at risk."

Mattel has recalled some three million painted toys in the past three months because high levels of lead were used in the paint – lead is toxic if ingested by young children.

The co-owner of one of the firms involved in the recall scandal, Cheung Shu-hung of Lee Der Industrial Co, committed suicide over the weekend.

Mr Cheung, whose firm had been temporarily barred from exporting its products, apparently hanged himself at one of his warehouses.