Mafia bloodbath victims buried


Summary

Two brothers gunned down on the streets of a quiet German city after a Mafia feud spilled over Italy's borders have been buried in their home town.

南宁桑拿

Francesco and Marco Pergola were among six men shot in an early-morning killing spree that shocked Germany and made headlines around the world.

The six had been celebrating the 18th birthday of Tommaso Venturi, one of the victims, at the Italian restaurant where many of them worked. They were murdered by two gunmen as they left the premises on August 15.

Detectives believe the bloodbath is linked to a long-running and deadly feud between two families belonging to southern Italy's 'Ndrangheta organised crime clan.

Procession banned

A crowd of some 100 people applauded — a sign of respect — as the brothers' coffins were carried from the church in the town of Siderno, in Calabria.

The traditional funeral procession through the streets was banned by local authorities, who feared an outbreak of mob violence.

Instead the pair's bodies were driven to the local cemetery as a heavy police presence warded off any trouble.

Police presence

Last week the mother of 16-year-old Francesco Pergola called for an end to the bitter and bloody row, saying she had forgiven his killers.

"I do not want a vendetta because I know Francesco would not have wanted it. I also do not want us to have blood on our hands," Teresa Pergola told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

The bodies of three of the other men killed, Marco Marmo, Francesco Giorgi and Sebastiano Strangio, were flown back to Italy on Wednesday. They will be buried in the town of San Luca – home of the 'Ndrangheta — on Friday.

The final victim, Mr Venturi, is to be buried in Germany, where he lived with his family.


Two brothers gunned down on the streets of a quiet German city after a Mafia feud spilled over Italy's borders have been buried in their home town.

苏州皮肤管理中心

Francesco and Marco Pergola were among six men shot in an early-morning killing spree that shocked Germany and made headlines around the world.

The six had been celebrating the 18th birthday of Tommaso Venturi, one of the victims, at the Italian restaurant where many of them worked. They were murdered by two gunmen as they left the premises on August 15.

Detectives believe the bloodbath is linked to a long-running and deadly feud between two families belonging to southern Italy's 'Ndrangheta organised crime clan.

Procession banned

A crowd of some 100 people applauded — a sign of respect — as the brothers' coffins were carried from the church in the town of Siderno, in Calabria.

The traditional funeral procession through the streets was banned by local authorities, who feared an outbreak of mob violence.

Instead the pair's bodies were driven to the local cemetery as a heavy police presence warded off any trouble.

Police presence

Last week the mother of 16-year-old Francesco Pergola called for an end to the bitter and bloody row, saying she had forgiven his killers.

"I do not want a vendetta because I know Francesco would not have wanted it. I also do not want us to have blood on our hands," Teresa Pergola told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

The bodies of three of the other men killed, Marco Marmo, Francesco Giorgi and Sebastiano Strangio, were flown back to Italy on Wednesday. They will be buried in the town of San Luca – home of the 'Ndrangheta — on Friday.

The final victim, Mr Venturi, is to be buried in Germany, where he lived with his family.